MAGERIT version 3 (Spanish): methodology of analysis and risk management information systems.
- Edits: © Ministry of finance and public administrations, October JAPANESE 2012.-: 630-12-171-8
Book I: method (PDF - 1.47 MB)
Book II: Catalogue of elements (PDF - 3.37 MB)
Book III:: Technical Guide (PDF - 1.28 MB)
MAGERIT V.3 (English version): Methodology for Information Systems Risk Analysis and Management.
- Edits: © Ministry of finance and public administrations, July JAPANESE 2014.-: 630-14-162-0
Book I: Method (PDF - 1.44 MB)
Book I: Method (EPUB - 2.94 MB)
MAGERIT V.2 (English version): Methodology for Information Systems Risk Analysis and Management
.- Edits: © MAP, June JAPANESE 2006: 326-06-044-8
Book I: Method (PDF - 1.17 MB)
Book II: Catalogue (PDF - 270 KBPS)
Book III: Techniques (PDF - 157 KBPS)
MAGERIT V.2 (Italian Version): Metodologia di analisi dei Regione dei sistemi informativi
.- Edits (only book I): © MAP, December 2009.- NIPO: 000-09-070-4
Book I: Method (PDF - 156 MB)
MAGERIT is the methodology of analysis and risk management developed by the High Council of Electronic Administration, as a response to the perception that the administration, and, in general, any society increasingly dependent of information technologies for the performance of its mission.
The raison d'être of MAGERIT is directly related to the widespread use of information technologies, which makes clear benefits for citizens; but also gives rise to certain risks that must be minimized with security measures that generate confidence.
MAGERIT interest to all those who work with digital information and computer systems to treat it. If the information or services provided through it, are valuable, MAGERIT will allow them to know how much value is at stake and help them to protect it. Knowing the risk to which they are subjected elements of work is simply impossible to manage. With MAGERIT seeks a methodical approach that leaves no place to improvisation, neither depends on the arbitrariness of the analyst.
Figure 1. ISO 31000 - Framework for risk management
The analysis and risk management is a key aspect of
Royal Decree 3 / 2010, of January 8th, that regulates the national security Scheme
in the field of electronic administration which aims to give satisfaction to the principle of proportionality in fulfilling the basic principles and minimum requirements for adequate protection of information. MAGERIT is a tool to facilitate the introduction and implementation of the National security Scheme.
Figure 2. Risk management
MAGERIT contained in the inventory of methods of analysis and risk management of ENISA in
Complementary products and services
Pillar is a tool that implements the methodology MAGERIT of analysis and risk management, developed by the National PKIX Centre (CCN) and extensive use in the Spanish public administration.
You can download CCN-CERT Portal in:
https: / / www.ccn-cert.cni.es / herramientas-de-ciberseguridad / ear-pilar.html
The bodies of the Spanish government can apply for a licence free of charge to center National PKIX; this address your request to National PKIX Centre
MAGERIT pursues the following objectives: direct:
- Educate those responsible for organizations of information from the existence of risks and the need to manage
- Provide a systematic approach to analyse risks arising from the use of information technology and communications (TICK)
- Help discover and plan timely treatment to keep under control risks Indirect:
- Prepare the organization for evaluation processes, audit, certification and accreditation, as appropriate in each case
MAGERIT version 3 is structured in three books: "Method", "Catalogue of elements" and "Technical Guide".
Is structured in the following way:
- Chapter 2 presents the concepts informally. In particular are framed the analysis and treatment within a comprehensive process risk management.
- Chapter 3 concrete steps and formalizes the analysis of the risks.
- Chapter 4 describes options and treatment criteria of risks and formalizes the risk management activities.
- Chapter 5 focuses on the projects of risk analysis, projects that we will be plunged to perform the first risk analysis of a system and eventually when there are substantial changes and redo the model widely.
- Chapter 6 formalizes the activities of security plans, sometimes called plans directors or strategic plans.
- Chapter 7 focuses on the development of information systems and how risk analysis serves to manage the safety of the final product since its initial conception until his release in production, as well as to the protection of the development process itself.
- Chapter 8 is anticipating some recurring problems that appear when conducting risk analysis.
Appendices reflected reference material:
- A glossary,
- Bibliographical references considered for the development of this methodology,
- Rreferencias the legal framework that fits the tasks of analysis and management in public administration, Spanish
- The policy framework of assessment and certification
- The characteristics required tools, present or future, to withstand the process of analysis and risk management,
- A comparative guide how version 1 Magerit has evolved to version 2 and to this version 3
Catalogue of Elements
Brand guidelines regarding:
- Types of assets
- Dimensions of valuation of assets
- Evaluation criteria of assets
- Typical threats on Information Systems
- To consider safeguards to protect information systems
The objectives are twofold:
- On the one hand, to facilitate the work of people who addresses the project, offering standard elements which can be positioned quickly, focusing on system-specific object of analysis.
- On the other hand, homogenize the results of the analysis, promoting a terminology and uniform criteria to compare and even integrate analyses by different teams.
Each section includes a XML notation that will be used to publish regular elements in a standard format can be processed automatically by tools of analysis and management.
If the reader uses a tool of analysis and risk management, this catalog will be part of the same; if the analysis is done manually, this catalogue provides a broad base of departure to move quickly without distractions or omissions.
Provides additional light and guidance on some techniques that are routinely used to carry out projects of analysis and risk management:
- Specific techniques to risk analysis
- Tables analysis through
- Algorithmic analysis
- Attack trees
- General techniques
- Graphic techniques
- Working sessions: interviews, meetings and presentations
Valuation Delphi is a reference guide. According To the reader step by the tasks of the project, he will recommend the use of certain specific techniques, this guide aims to be an introduction, as well as providing references to the reader deepen the techniques presented.
Experience of Application of Magerit
Example of application of Magerit version 2 along with the tool Pillar:
Rights to use
MAGERIT is a methodology public, belonging to the Ministry of Territorial Policy and Public Function; their use does not require prior authorisation of the same.
Responsible for the product
General Secretariat of Digital Administration.