MAGERIT version 3 (spanish version): Analysis and Risk management information systems.
- Edita: © Ministerio de Hacienda y Administraciones Públicas, octubre 2012.-
Book I: method (PDF-1,47 MB)
Book II: Catalogue of elements (PDF-3,37 MB)
Volume III: Technical Guide (PDF-1,28 MB)
Book I: Method (PDF-1,44 MB)
Book I: Method (EPUB-2,94 MB)
MAGERIT V.2 (English version): Methodology for Information Systems Risk Analysis and Management
.- Edits: © MAP, june 2006
Book I: Method (PDF-1,17 MB)
Book II: Catalogue (PDF-270 KB)
Book III: Techniques (PDF-157 KB)
Book I: Method (PDF-1,56 MB)
MAGERIT is the analytical methodology and risk management developed by the former high council of E-government (currently Commission ict strategies), in response to the perception that the administration, and, in general, the whole of society, increasingly dependent on information to fulfil its mission.
La razón de ser de MAGERIT está directamente relacionada con la generalización del uso de las tecnologías de la información, que supone unos beneficios evidentes para los ciudadanos; pero también da lugar a ciertos riesgos que deben minimizarse con medidas de seguridad que generen confianza.
MAGERIT interests of all those who work with digital information and computer systems to deal with it. If this information, or services provided by it, they are valuable MAGERIT will enable them to know how much value is at stake and help them protect it. Knowing the risk to elements of work is simply essential in order to manage them. With MAGERIT is to push for a methodical approach that will leave no room for improvisation, or dependent on the arbitrariness of the analyst.
Figure 1. ISO 31000 - framework for risk management
The analysis and risk management is a key aspect of the
Royal Decree 3/2010, of 8 january, which regulates the national security
en el ámbito de la Administración Electrónica que tiene la finalidad de poder dar satisfacción al principio de proporcionalidad en el cumplimiento de los principios básicos y requisitos mínimos para la protección adecuada de la información. MAGERIT es un instrumento para facilitar la implantación y aplicación del Esquema Nacional de Seguridad.
Figure 2. Risk management
MAGERIT is contained in the inventory of methods of analysis and risk management of ENISA in
Complementary products and services
Pillar is a tool which implements the methodology MAGERIT of analysis and risk management, developed by the Centre National Cryptologic (CCN), widely-used in the spanish government.
You can download
Portal de PILAR
The agencies of the spanish government can obtain a licence free of charge to the Centre National Cryptologic, point your application to National Cryptologic Centre
MAGERIT pursues the following Targets:
- Raising the awareness of the organizations of reports of the existence of risks and the need to manage
- Provide a systematic approach to analyse risks from the use of information and communications technology (ICT)
- Help discover and plan the appropriate treatment to maintain the risks under Indirect control
- Prepare the Organization for processes of evaluation, audit, certification and accreditation, as appropriate in each case
Organization of the guides
MAGERIT version 3 is structured into three books: "" Method, "Catalogue of Elements and" "Guide" Techniques.
Is structured as follows:
- Chapter 2 presents the concepts informally. In particular fall analysis and treatment within a comprehensive process of risk management.
- Chapter 3 concrete steps and formalizes the analysis of risks.
- Chapter 4 describes options and approaches of treatment of risks and formalises the risk management activities.
- Chapter 5 focuses on the draft risk analysis, projects in which we will be plunged to conduct the first risk analysis of a system and if and when there are substantial changes and redo the model widely.
- Chapter 6 formalises the activities of the security plans, sometimes called master plans or strategic plans.
- Chapter 7 focuses on the development of information systems and how the risk analysis serves to manage security of the final product from conception up to its start up, as well as to the protection of the development process.
- Chapter 8 anticipates to some problems that appear recurrent when you are performing risk analysis.
Appendices contain reference materials:
- A glossary,
- Bibliographical references that were being considered for the development of this methodology,
- Rreferencias to the legal framework that embodies the tasks of analysis and management in the Spanish Government,
- The normative framework for evaluating and certifying
- The characteristics required of the tools, present or future, to support the process of analysis and risk management,
- A comparative guide how Magerit version 1 has evolved to version 2 and to this version 3
List of Elements
Lays down guidelines on:
- Tipos de activos
- Dimensions of valuation of assets
- Criteria for valuation of assets
- Typical threats on the information systems
- Safeguards to protect to consider information systems
Has two objectives:
- On the one hand, to facilitate the work of the persons undertaking the project, within the meaning of offering standard elements to which they can quickly adscribirse, focusing on what was specific to the system under consideration.
- On the other to harmonise the results of analyses, terminology and standard criteria that make it possible to compare and even to integrate analysis made by various teams.
Each section includes a XML notation used to publish regularly elements in a standard format can be processed automatically by tools for analysis and management.
Si el lector usa una herramienta de análisis y gestión de riesgos, este catálogo será parte de la misma; si el análisis se realiza manualmente, este catálogo proporciona una amplia base de partida para avanzar rápidamente sin distracciones ni olvidos.
Additional add light and guidance on some techniques that are routinely used to carry out projects of analysis and risk management:
- Specific techniques for risk analysis
- Analysis by tables
- The algorithm analysis
- Árboles attack
- General technical
- Graphic techniques
- Working sessions: interviews, meetings and presentations
Valoración Delphi Se trata de una guía de consulta. Según el lector avance por la tareas del proyecto, se le recomendará el uso de ciertas técnicas específicas, de las que esta guía busca ser una introducción, así como proporcionar referencias para que el lector profundice en las técnicas presentadas.
Experiences applying Magerit
Example of implementation of Magerit version 2, together with the tool Pillar:
Rights to use
MAGERIT, a methodology of a public nature, can be used freely and did not require prior permission. In any exploitation of the work reflected the original authorship.
Responsible for the product
Secretariat-General for administration.