it shall enter into force in august 2016 and the member states will have 21 months for transposition and 6 months to identify the operators of essential services.
The Directive NIS aims to produce an increase of the overall level of safety in the european Union. To this end:
- Establishes obligations for all member states to adopt a national security strategy of the networks and information systems;
- Create a group of cooperation to support and facilitate strategic cooperation and exchange of information between member states and to develop confidence and security among them;
- Creates a network of teams of response to incidents of computer security (hereinafter « CSIRT network ”, by its initials in english 'computer security incident response teams') in order to contribute to the development of confidence and security among member states and to promote operational cooperation quickly and effectively;
- Establishes safety requirements and notification to operators of essential services and for suppliers of digital services;
- Establishes obligations for member states to nominate competent national authorities, contact points and Unique CSIRT with functions relating to the security of networks and information systems.