The Royal Decree 1112/2018, of 7 september on accessibility of websites and applications for mobile devices in the public sector (available english translation of the RD 1112/2018 ), adopted at the proposal of the then ministry of Territorial policy and Public Function, economy and business, health, consumption and Social welfare, reflected the spanish legal system Directive (EU) 2016/2102 of the european parliament and of the council of 26 october 2016, on the accessibility of websites and applications for mobile devices of the public sector agencies .
( English Version ) Royal Decree 1112/2018 , on the accessibility of websites and mobile applications in the public sector (PDF)
This Royal Decree covers all websites and mobile applications of the public sector, since those belonging to the government, courts and police services in hospitals, universities and public libraries, making them accessible to all citizens, especially those with hearing disabilities, visual or functional.
In this way, the new royal decree replaces and improves the conditions that were already in demanding the gates of the public authorities since the entry into force on 31 december 2008 Royal Decree 1494/2007 .
The most significant changes introduced are as follows:
- The matching of accessibility requirements to standard spanish european harmonized based on the rule IN 301 549 “ requirements of accessibility of ICT products and services applicable to public procurement in europe ” and which in turn is linked to the WCAG 2.1 .
- The inclusion of mobile applications developed by public administrations which are to be accessible, before 23 june 2021.
- La inclusión de intranets o extranets nuevas o que se renueven sustancialmente a partir del 23 de septiembre de 2019.
- In each gateway and mobile application must include a statement of accessibility, according to the model established at european level ( Implementation decision (EU) 2018/1523 of the commission which establishes a model statement of accessibility in accordance with the directive (EU) 2016/2102 .
- It establishes a mechanism for communication on accessibility requirements to enable users to inform the agency of the public sector any possible non-compliance with accessibility requirements set out, transmit difficulties of access to content and make suggestions for improvements relating to accessibility.
- A mechanism of communication to request the persons concerned the information on content that are excluded from the scope of application of this royal decree or exempt from compliance with accessibility requirements, as well as the submission of complaints relating to compliance with accessibility requirements.
- In addition there is a complaint mechanism available to all persons concerned.
- Contains provisions for conduct regular monitoring of the implementation of the royal decree through decentralized management. To that end, each entity bound will determine the "unit responsible for accessibility" that will be responsible for coordinating and give effect to the forecasts, and shall act as canalizadora of information to the agency responsible for monitoring and reporting functions of which were developed by the ministry of economic and Digital Processing (responsibilities transferred from the ministry of Territorial policy and Public Service).
- There will be public reports to the european commission every three years of the state of implementation (EU) 2016/2102. The first of these reports by 23 december 2021, and the 2020-2021 comprendrá period.
- Follow-up, monitoring and reporting shall fulfil requirements imposed by the european commission ( Implementation decision (EU) 2018/1524 of the commission to establish a methodology for monitoring and reporting arrangements of reports by member states in accordance with the directive (EU) 2016/2102 ).
- Extends the application of the web accessibility to public funding for its maintenance, and those that provide public services through a contractual regime with public administrations.
To assist the implementation of all these measures will be essential the role that the units responsible for accessibility, which will be responsible for ensuring compliance with accessibility requirements of the websites and applications for mobile devices within its sphere of competence. They should ensure their implementation in all areas of the organization, both technical and functional and involve all actors requirements: it departments, responsible for content editing, responsible for publications, responsible for communication and the press, responsible, etc.